Blog Archive

Friday, September 13, 2013

Sisters Married Brothers

There are a million ways I can tell this story. I thought the fairy tale version would be the most fun!

Chris, Lisa, Me, Mike
This is the story of how two sisters married two brothers. Once upon a time a young girl named Lisa went off to college. There she met a young man named Chris and the two fell deeply in love. After college they got married, had a baby and are living happily ever after.

Once upon a time, there was a young girl named Lauren who wanted to do everything her sister did. Her sister played soccer and so Lauren did. Her sister danced and so Lauren danced too. Her sister fell in love with a boy who had a little brother, so naturally Lauren fell in love with the little brother.

If you hadn’t figured it out yet, my big sister is Lisa. Her husband is Chris. I’m Lauren (obvi) and my husband is Chris’ younger brother, Mike. Lisa and I are the bestest of friends and the same is true for Chris and Mike. Either you find our story a little bit weird, or uniquely neat; those tend to be the biggest reactions.
Graceful

Well... not graceful
 I’ve known Mike since I was twelve years old. That’s when my sister starting dating Chris. As Lis and Chris became more serious, I would see more and more of Mike through the years. I can remember writing “I love Mike” under my desks in high school and stalking him on AIM. Do you remember AIM??!! While I pretty much had a crush on Mike since I was 12, I never thought in a million years we would end up together. We lived in different states, went to different universities and didn’t even live in the same town until we were married. And so, though we were friends and talked occasionally, we mostly pursued our own paths. My junior year of college we began talking more and more often and what was a “talk every other month” friendship turned into a “3 hour long nightly chats and endless texting” friendship. We began dating when I was 21 and were married by the time I was 22. We dated for six months, were engaged the next 10 months and then married the month after I graduated college. Mike says he knew he loved me after three weeks of dating. I had known for the last ten years. And so, just as we were the maid of honor and best man in Chris and Lisa’s wedding, so they were in ours.

But the story continues…

Brothers

Sisters
Lisa and I drive almost the same car. We wear all the same lipstick colors. Our main source of lighting in our living rooms is the same, an awesome CB2 lamp, and the list goes on. Chris and Mike trade cars often. They do not wear all the same lipstick colors, but they are the spitting image of each other and are competing in the race against balding. Working on cars and redoing floors and driving boats are their recreational talents.


But we’re different too, and those differences are just as much a part of our bond as our similarities. Lis and Chris are both extremely creative and have formed careers around those gifts. Mike and I lose our marbles over anything beyond center spacing a title in a word document. Lisa and Mike are doers. Big time! They have a hard time understanding what it means to lay on the couch for an entire afternoon without feeling guilty. Chris and I love the couch, especially on Sunday’s. We know how to relax and fight our spouses to learn the beautiful art. All together the same and different and mixed and matched, we are two sisters who married two brothers. All four of us are grateful the Lord has brought us together in this way.

*A quick shout out to my brothers, who don’t have a matching set of sisters to marry. We love you too J
Jeff, Lis, Me, Tim

With Love,
L

Ps. If you’re wondering whether or not our children will look alike, so are we!!! Taking bets now…

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this post (how could I not?!) You're so witty, and able to craft a story in such a small amount of words, something I could never do. I laughed out loud numerous times. Can't wait for the next post!!

    ReplyDelete