Blog Archive

Monday, September 30, 2013

Menu Monday: Garlic with a side of food

Happy Monday! I am struggling to gain an ounce of energy on this beautiful day. So, I'm officially declaring this Monday my Sunday. Mike and I had a SUPER busy weekend that started early Friday morning and didn't end until late last night. I knew I had reached the point of utter exhaustion when during worship at church Sunday morning I ran out of breath while singing Holy Holy Holy. (that's of course also thanks to the growing baby boy in my belly) It was then that I resolved to get at least 5 brisk walks a week in until this baby comes. I will maintain some level of fitness, gosh darn it!

BUT, let's move on to the food. To the juicy, garlicky pork tenderloin I'm going to tell you about. And the creamy mushroom risotto sitting next to the slightly crispy roasted broccoli. I want it right now. I could it eat every night I think! If you don't like garlic, then don't waste your time reading on. We love garlic. I cook with it almost every night. My husband has been known to grab a slice of it right off the cutting board before I have even started cooking it (gross, I know) and he actually likes it like that! One time last year I arrived to work in the morning, hugged my boss and was told I wreaked of garlic. Also gross, I know. But let's focus on how GOOD it is :-)



Garlic, Herb and Wine Pork Tenderloin: Serves 2 with a few slices leftover for lunch tomorrow

This is the *easiest part of the whole dinner! You know those handy dandy Grill Mate seasoning packets that my friend McCormick makes? Well he should be your friend, too! And invite your crock pot to the party while you're at it!

Ingredients:

  • 1 pork tenderloin
  • 1 packet McCormick Grill Mates Garlic Herb and Wine Marinade
  • (need olive oil and vinegar to mix marinade)
Directions: Follow directions on marinade packet and dump in crock pot. Tip: the last time I made this I accidentally poured equal parts olive oil and vinegar. So I added a little extra water in fear the vinegar would completely take over. It didn't. AND this mistake is worth repeating. Let cook in crock pot for proper amount of time, check with meat thermometer to be sure pork is done. (cooking time will vary depending on your crock pot setting) Over the course of cooking time, I turned my tenderloin and coated with juices.

Garlic Roasted Broccoli: Serves 2 (we really like broccoli)
(I probably should give credit to someone for this recipe, but I don't know where I got it and have adapted it since. So just know, you can find variations of this all over the internet)

Ingredients:

  • 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
  • 5 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 lemon
  • olive oil
  • salt and peper
  • optional- parm cheese for sprinkling when done


Directions:
Line baking sheet with foil and evenly spread cut up broccoli. Sprinkle garlic slices all over broccoli. Lightly coat tray with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Mix all together with fingers and spread broccoli back out evenly. Pop in the oven at 350 for at least 25-35 minutes. Be sure to watch that your garlic is not burning. May have to turn florets half way through baking time. When done, squeeze half a lemon and grated cheese over broccoli. Return to oven until cheese is bubbly.

The star portion, Mushroom Risotto: Serves 2, generously
(Another recipe I don't know who to give credit to? Lots of these recipes out there. I adapted mine from a friend)
If you have shied away from making risotto because of the time it takes or the amount of steps it requires, then now is the time to get out the calendar. Schedule a night this week, next week or next month. I don't care when, just do it.

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup Arborio rice
  • 5 cups stock, give or take
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1 cup sliced mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup Chardonnay, any white wine on hand will work, but don't skip it!
  • 1/2 lemon
  • salt and pepper
Directions:
In olive oil (or butter. butter is better!), saute onions, mushrooms and garlic until soft. Add rice and allow to sit in pan 2 minutes, stirring. Pour in wine, I usually make it a generous 1/2 cup. When most of liquid is cooked out, start adding stock 1 cup at a time. Stir frequently, but not necessary to stand over the stove constantly. Each time majority of liquid is absorbed and rice starts to look creamy, add another cup of stock. I cook mine until just passed al dente. Squeeze in lemon, add salt and pepper to taste.

There you have it. A wonderful, balanced, soul warming dinner. A few things to note- McCormick grill mates marinade packets come in lots of different flavors. We like most all of them and they make for a super easy no-think dinner. You could skip the broccoli and risotto sides and just throw a bunch of veggies and potatoes in the crock pot with the pork tenderloin and have yourself a super easy and delicious dinner. Also, the risotto recipe is so versatile. I made it last week and swapped out the mushrooms for bacon. You could really do anything!

With Love,
L



1 comment:

  1. I think Italians (or at least Swiss Italians) eat uncooked garlic everyday. It's supposed to be good for your immune system, or something!

    Looks yummy! I could actually try this one!!!!

    ReplyDelete